Top interesting facts about FIFA World Cup
FIFA World Cup is organized every four years and considered one of the world’s biggest football game. The last World Cup was held by Brazil in 2014 and we have to wait for more 2 years to welcome the next World Cup that’s gonna takes place in Russia. Here are some greats facts for you to know about this sport event.
- The first FIFA World Cup was held in Uruguay back in 1930 and 13 countries participated in the very first World Cup tournament.
- The oldest player to lead a Country to the World Cup title was the Italian goalkeeper and captain Dino Zoff, who at the age of 40 captained Italy to their 1982 FIFA World Cup title.
- First player to miss a penalty kick in World Cup competition was Valdemar de Brito of Brazil back in 1930.
- After winning their 2nd World Cup title in 1938, Italy went on a 44 year drought before winning their third title in 1982.
- Germany has also made the semi finals the most times. Germany has advanced to the final four teams in 11 different World Cups.
- Germany and Brazil hold the top spot for most appearances in the World Cup final. Both countries made it to the finals on 7 different occasions.
- Frenchman Just Fontaine holds the record for most World Cup goals scored when he netted 13 goals in 1958 World Cup.
- Record number for most World Cup appearances is held by German soccer player Lothar Matthaus with 25 appearances.
- Interesting World Cup fact is that out of 19 World Cups so far, 6 tournaments were won by the host Country.
- The World Cup was not played in 1942 and 1946 because of World War.